Motorola set to launch Microsoft phone this year
Reuters | at | by Mike
U.S.-based Motorola will launch a mobile phone based on Microsoft software later this year, the first top five handset maker to do so, industry sources said on Thursday. "It will come later this year. They've been working on it for many months now," one industry source told Reuters.
Pictures of the new Motorola handset, to be produced by Taiwan's contract manufacturer Chi Mei Communication Systems circulated on discussion groups on the Internet.
Motorola told Reuters in February it would bring out a Microsoft phone, mainly in response to U.S. operators' requests, but then declined to give details or timing. Motorola's model would be a clamshell with an internal antenna. Microsoft is struggling to break into the 450 million units a year mobile phone industry, but the major vendors have so far been reluctant to work with the software giant.